Friday, September 30, 2011

Third OB Appt {19 weeks!}

Monday we had our pseudo-monthly baby appointment. It started off with my most favorite part... vitals! The guy who took me in for my vitals was really nice and funny though. First thing that happens is the weight check. I hop on the scale and to my surprise, I finally gained some weight! 4 pounds since July! And I am not complaining one bit. But when he was about to write down my weight he asked me if I wanted him to subtract any. I laughed and said no and asked if people normally say yes to that question. Apparently they do. Haha. Then we were taken into the exam room and the doctor came in. She told me that they were going to measure me, which they haven't done before. So she took this paper tape measure and placed it across my belly and then was shocked by the results. She said that I was measuring much farther than my due date (around 23 weeks, I think she said) and asked if I was sure of my dates. I said pretty sure, we had an IUI done and she replied, that is pretty accurate then, haha. So then she asked the tech to bring in an ultrasound machine so she could make sure that there wasn't more than one baby in there. I didn't mention that we had an ultrasound last week, because I am not going to turn down another time to see Bean. Everything looked good in the ultrasound, still only one baby and Bean was measuring at around 16 weeks 5 days (give or take 10 days), which baffled me because I am 19 weeks now. But everything is good and next week we have our big anatomy scan where they check everything else with Bean.

This week Bean is the size of a mango! I bought some mangoes, but didn't photograph them because they were smaller than they were supposed to be this week, and I am just going to make them into salsa this weekend. :)
This is what BabyCenter.com has to say:
Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.
Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.

I also found out that I have an anterior placenta, which means that right now Bean is kicking my placenta around and not me, causing me to feel no kicks at all. :(

In other news, I feel like my belly is growing larger every day. 
I feel huge.

Next week is our big anatomy scan and our gender reveal! I know you all are so excited! ;)

<3 Brad & Jenna

3 comments:

  1. I'm almost as excited to find out what you guys are having as I was when we found out ourselves! Hope your 20 week scan goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I am just as excited to share the news! Haha! I have to watch my pronouns on the internet to not give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does an anterior placenta prevent the baby from kicking you square in the vagina? I don't mean belly kicks, I mean straight-down-feels-like-you-can-see-the-feet-pop-out-real-quick kicks right in the lady parts. 'Cause that's what I feel most right now... I think it's called lightening crotch. I'm gonna google it...
    LOVE reading your updates! Keep up the good work, momma!

    ReplyDelete